The Firm has an extensive array of expertise in Arbitration/Alternative Dispute Resolution practice, and has represented private individuals, corporate entities and both investors and states in disputes involving multimillion-dollar claims.
Our legal team has built expertise in international arbitrations and has appeared before tribunals constituted by the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), Paris, the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (“ICSID”), Washington DC and the Arbitration Institute of Stockholm Chamber of Commerce (SCC) and Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC).
SQA partner acted as a Member of the Annulment Committee, constituted by ICSID involving a dispute between a British investor and the government of Sri Lanka.
Some notable arbitrations in which our team has represented clients are as follow:
- A Kuwaiti Company v. Islamic Republic of Pakistan (ICSID Case)
- A Turkish Company v. Islamic Republic of Pakistan (ICSID Case)
- A consortium of Kuwaiti, Jordanian and Pakistani Companies. Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan (ICSID Case )
- An ICC Arbitration Award while representing British Power International Limited (UK).
- SQA represented Eastern Testing Services (Pvt) Limited in an arbitration proceeding against OGDCL regarding a dispute related to the payment of provincial sales tax.
- SQA partner acted as a Member of the Annulment Committee in Raymond Charles Eyre (British), Montrose Developments (Private) Limited (Sri Lanka) v. Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka (Sri Lanka)
- Chinese Company v a local entity
- Iflix v Pakistan Telecommunication Limited Company
- A Pakistani Entity v. National Telecommunication Company
- ICC Case regarding a dispute relating to the Jordan Light Rail System.
- ICC arbitration between a Turkish company and a German supplier
- ICC arbitration relating to a petroleum concession in Pakistan
- SCC arbitration about the valuation of shares and matters of Competition law involving a Multinational Norwegian Company
- SIAC Arbitration between Pakistan Telecommunication Company Limited and Iflix relating to contractual disputes
- A DIFC-LCIA Arbitration Centre (Dubai International Financial Centre) between a German and Pakistani Company
- Ad hoc arbitration between the Government of Pakistan and an Italian company
- Ad hoc arbitration between the Government of Pakistan and an Italian companyAd hoc arbitration between a Turkish Company and Pakistan
- Ad hoc arbitrations A local entity and Telecom Foundation
- Ad hoc arbitrations a local company and National Telecommunications
- Ad hoc arbitrations between a local company and National Highway Authority
- Ad hoc arbitration between NLC and National Highway Authority
- The dispute before a DAB appointed by ICC concerning a dispute between the Government of Jordan and Pakistani, Kuwaiti, Jordanian and Mauritian companies.
- SQA Advocates won an ICC Arbitration Award while representing British Power International Limited (UK). The arbitration proceedings were held in Dubai.
- a dispute involving questions relating to the effect of Bilateral Investment Treaties in Pakistan, which eventually came up for adjudication before the Supreme Court of Pakistan. The final judgment laid down principles determining the jurisdiction of Pakistani and foreign courts to adjudicate upon disputes arising out of contracts executed in Pakistan containing provisions for resolving disputes under the Arbitration Act 1940.
One of our partners also participated in the following WTO proceedings:
- Assistance to a Panelist on the review board in Argentina v. United States of America (the “OCTG Case”)
- Anti-Dumping Investigations in Master Tiles against China
- Anti-Dumping Investigations in polyester filament yarn against the Republic of Indonesia, the Republic of Korea, and the Kingdom of Thailand
- Advising NTC on issues about various WTO agreements and applying trade remedy laws, e.g., anti-dumping, countervailing duties, and safeguard measures
- Investigations by the NTC in imposing anti-dumping measures
- Litigation between exporters/importers and the NTC
- Represented Eastern Testing Services (Pvt) Limited in an arbitration proceeding against OGDCL regarding a dispute related to the payment of provincial sales tax.